Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Parent-Teacher Day (Post #1)

Before I begin, as promised, I have uploaded my syllabus to a delightful innovation by Google called "Google Documents," which hosts word documents and things like that for easy linking to things like Blogger. As I work to integrate technology more and more into my curriculum, I intend to use it more. For now, however, if you would like to take the time to view what I gave all of my Western Civilization classes, here is the link.

Today, I continued my "surge" to borrow a phrase from the President against the insurgency of disrespect, poor attitude, and self-loathing in the student body. I walked the halls this morning forcing the square pegs of my students into the round hole that is our school's dress code. Many were quite displeased with me and the epidemic of under-the-breath foot-in-mouth disease continues. I gave one girl detention for saying, once she thought I was out of earshot, "He ain't the principal or Dean. Who's he think he is tellin' me to get in code." I reemerged from my classroom and said, calmly (I'm proud of myself, for good or ill, for not losing my temper): "No, I'm not, but I am your teacher. You'll serve detention this afternoon for talking back." She replied, "No I ain't". My bristling reply? "I'll see you there or you're suspended." She retorted "fine" but I pretended, for her sake, not to hear her. So, on top of language and gum, I now add, "Dress code." This is yet another war where a surge seems to help.

I do label this post #1 with reference to the subject of Parent-Teacher Day because tonight (or tomorrow) I will post a further reflection, but I wanted to get down my pre-event feelings for my own "posterity" sake so that I can come back and read and reflect on what I was thinking. And, to be honest, I have to say: I'm petrified. I've been looking forward to this for weeks. I finally get to whip some of my students into shape. Yes, I've spoken with parents. Yes, some kids turned themselves around during the marking period. But tonight, the parents get their kids' report cards, and the kids, well, get their's...

Here's what I'm "afraid" of, however, as of this morning... Why I dread the approach of this evening. I'm worried that those parents of students who failed (and there were a great deal of them) are going to come to me and blame me. I'm worried I'm going to get fingers shoved in my face. Do I have the numbers to back up my grades? Of course I do. Do I have copies of things? Certainly. But am I still worried that the parents of my students, like my students themselves, are going to blame me for the student's poor performance? Yes. I most certainly do worry. Perhaps illogically I worry, but I worry all the same.

Few people would believe this of me, but I've never been one to like confrontation. Granted, I don't know that there are many people who do, but there most certainly are people in the world that thrive on it. I am by nature a deferential person. I don't like to get into heated arguments with people and I never "get angry" with other adults the way some people do. Certainly I get angry, but I don't yell and carry on. And people that do, well, they make me uncomfortable. I'm never certain how to deal with "unprofessional" or "inappropriate" adults. Students, children, yes. That's easy. But their parents? I presume, out of hope and my natural deference to my students' parents, that they will all be cooperative and concerned and respectful, especially given that this school is seen by so many as such a gift.

But some of my students have views and values and mannerisms that make me wonder, however erroneously, about the views and values and mannerisms of their parents. I mean, the kids have to be learning this stuff somewhere and they can't have picked it ALL up on the street. I just have to say I'm not excited. I thought I would be looking forward to this. I'm really not. I hope that "post #2" is full of, "I don't know what I was so worried about." But then again... well, we'll see. It's in God's hands.

Stay tuned...

No comments: